The Prophet Isaiah foretold the birth of Lord Jesus around 700 BC. The five names he mentioned meet the five most important needs of human beings.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
- Wonderful: The need for hope: our Lord’s birth was astonishing and extraordinary. His birth was announced by angels to ordinary shepherds who were at the bottom of the pile and Wise Men of the East got a sign of a star. No wonder since He embraces whole humanity in His saving grace. His name gives hope in all situations as he is wonder-working God.
- Counsellor: The need for wisdom and guidance. Each person in the world needs counsel to take the right decisions. Lord Jesus Christ is our reliable, relevant and perfect counsellor. Human wisdom and counsel are finite, so fallible. The Lord Jesus’ counsel is from infinite wisdom and understanding so they are infallible. He alone can guide us in the paths of righteousness. (Psalm 23:3)
- Almighty God: The need for strength. Our Counsellor provides wisdom to plan, and our almighty provides strength to implement those plans. The Lord Jesus has authority over heaven and earth. (Mathew 28:18) We can do all things through the strength provided by Lord Jesus Christ. (Phil 4:13)
- Eternal Father: The need for Presence, Provision and Protection. Lord Jesus Christ is before and beyond time hence called as Eternal or Everlasting Father. Like a father, He provides all our needs.
- Prince of Peace: The need for fellowship with God. Lord Jesus reconciles God and humanity bringing peace. The past sins of a person are forgiven by the vicarious death of Lord Jesus Christ on the cross, thus Peace with God becomes a reality. Also, there is peace for the present in heart and mind that the world cannot give or take it away. (John 14:27)
Do you experience all your needs met by Lord Jesus Christ?
#jnmanokaran #insights #wonderful #counsellor #almightygod #everlastingfather #princeofpeace
by Rev. Dr J.N. Manokaran